Toasted Rice Pilaf
Just a few minutes on the stovetop give plain rice a toasty flavor.Cooking slowly in the oven makes it tender.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup brown rice, rinsed
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 small yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1⁄8 cup dried cherries
1⁄8 cup dried apricots, julienned
2 1⁄2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup parsley, finely minced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add rice.
3. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until rice browns and you hear pops. Add celery, onions, cherries and apricots. Stir to coat.
4. Sauté until onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
5. When mixture boils, cover pan and place in oven.
6. Bake for 1 hour, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
7. Remove from oven, stir, sprinkle with parsley, and serve.