For a spicy variation, replace the sage with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
Morning Energy Muffins Recipe
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup whole wheat flour
• 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
• 2 apples, coarsely chopped
• 1 egg
• 1 cup applesauce
• 1 cup plain yogurt
• 1/4 cup liquid honey
• 3 tablespoons organic canola or olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil (or line with paper baking cups) a muffin tin.
2. In a bowl, combine flours, rolled oats, baking powder, sage and salt. Stir in cheese and apples.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Whisk in applesauce, yogurt, honey and oil. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
4. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, generously filling each to the top. Bake about 20 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean and tops are golden brown. Cool and store in an airtight container up to 5 days; store in freezer up to 2 months. Makes 12 muffins
Click here for the main article, 6 Healthful Breakfast Recipes.
Pat Crocker is a culinary herbalist and author of several award-winning books. Contact her at PCrocker@RiversongHerbals.com.