Celebrity chefs offer their recipes for pizza dough.
Mario Batali’s Pizza Dough
Makes 1¾ pounds (enough for four 9- or 10-inch pizzas)
- 3¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup dry white wine, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar; mix well.
Click here for the original article, Celebrity Chefs' Pizza Dough Recipes.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add water, wine and olive oil. Using a wooden spoon, stir wet ingredients into dry until mixture is too stiff to stir.
- Mix with your hands until dough comes together and pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and turn dough onto surface. Knead gently, dusting surface lightly with more flour as necessary, for 5 minutes, or until dough is smooth, elastic and only slightly sticky.
- Oil a large, clean bowl, add dough and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel, set in a warm area, and let dough rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and proceed with Pizza Margherita recipe.