This bold, honey-based granita perfumed with Provençal herbs is the perfect finish to a Mediterranean dinner. Makes 3 cups.
• 3 cups water
• 9 tablespoons honey
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lavender flowers or leaves
• 2 4-inch sprigs fresh rosemary
• Rosemary or lavender sprigs for garnish
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients except the garnishes and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover, and steep 20 minutes.
2. Freeze the mixture in ice cube trays until solid. Pulse 6 frozen granita cubes in a blender or food processor until mixture forms coarse crystals. Continue adding granita cubes until all the mixture has been processed. Serve immediately, garnished with a sprig of rosemary or lavender.
—Layla Chesebro, pastry chef, The Cosmopolitan, Telluride, Colorado
Sally King is a contributing editor for
Bon Appétit and lives in Virginia, where granitas are most welcome in summer. The granita recipes she presents here can often be found on the menus of her favorite restaurants.
Click here for the main article,
Make Herb-Infused Granitas