Used with permission from Jekka’s Herb Cookbookby Jekka McVicar (Firefly Books, 2011).
The lemon balm added to the center of the apples lends a warm lemon flavor. Serve with clotted cream, homemade custard, horseradish cream or brandy butter. SERVES 4
• 4 large Granny Smith apples
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
• 2 tablespoons extra for dotting
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 1/2 cup ground almonds
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped lemon balm
• Zest of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1⁄3 cup flaked almonds, toasted
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and generously core the apples. Carefully, using a sharp knife, put a shallow slit in the skin, not deep into the flesh, running all the way around the apples’ diameter. Place the apples in a roasting tin.
3. Cream butter with sugar, beat in the ground almonds and stir in lemon balm, lemon zest, cinnamon and flaked almonds. Using a small spoon, put 1⁄4 of this mixture into each cored apple, then drizzle 1 tablespoon maple syrup over each apple, dot with butter and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the apples are soft but not mushy.
Click here for the main article, Love Lemony Herbs this Summer.
Purchase Jekka's Herb Cookbook.