Serves 6 to 8
This molded salad combines lemon thyme, hazelnuts and wild rice.
• 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
• 1 small onion
• 1/2 green pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced parsley
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1 cup cooked wild rice
• 3/4 cup ground hazelnuts
• 1 tablespoon flour
• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
• 3 tablespoons melted butter
• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 cup lemon thyme leaves
• Sprigs of lemon thyme or celery leaves for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Squeeze the excess moisture from the celery in a towel.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree the onion, green pepper and parsley with a little of the milk.
3. In a large bowl, combine the celery, wild rice, ground hazelnuts, onion mixture and flour. Stir in the eggs, remaining milk, butter, salt, pepper and lemon thyme leaves.
4. Pour the mixture into a well-buttered 1 1/4-quart ring mold. Place the mold in a deep baking pan, pour enough hot water into the pan to measure 2 inches, and bake for 1 hour, or until the mold is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove the mold from the water, let stand for 15 minutes and unmold on a heated serving plate. Garnish with sprigs of lemon thyme or celery leaves.
—Barbara Fay, Fairbanks, Alaska