Herbs, sparkling wine, and salmon combine to make an elegant entrée that is simple to make. Baked closely covered, the salmon simmers in the herbed wine and remains moist and flaky. Serves 4
• 2 pounds salmon fillets, skinned
• Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
• 26 sprigs fresh cilantro
• 8 sprigs Italian parsley
• 1 cup sparkling wine
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Remove any bones from the salmon fillets and then sprinkle them very lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Place 10 sprigs of cilantro and all of the parsley sprigs in a nonreactive baking dish that is just large enough to hold the fillets in a single layer. Place the salmon on the herbs. Pour the wine over the fish and place 10 sprigs of cilantro on top. Cover the baking dish tightly with a lid or a sheet of aluminum foil. Shape the foil so that it does not touch the fish. Bake the fillets for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the flesh just flakes when tested with the tip of a sharp knife.
4. Remove the salmon to a warm serving platter, discard the herbs, and garnish with the remaining cilantro sprigs.
Lana Raymond, White Plains, New York
Click here for the main arcitl,
Kitchen Table: March 1998.