Here’s a great way to introduce people to the flavor of lavender.
• 1 1/2 cups total graham cracker and/or gingersnap crumbs
• 1/2 cup melted butter
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
• 24 ounces softened cream cheese
• 1 1/2 cups sugar
• 6 eggs
• 2 cups sour cream
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon crushed dried lavender flowers
• 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 8 ounces sour cream
• 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon whole dried lavender flowers
• 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the crust ingredients and press firmly into the bottom and up 2 inches of the sides of a 9-inch springform pan; chill.
3. With mixer on high speed, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. With mixer on low, add the eggs, sour cream, cornstarch, lemon juice, lavender flowers, and vanilla. Blend all ingredients on medium speed for 3 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into the chilled crust and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in for 30 minutes longer. Remove and let cool in pan. Chill.
5. Mix the sour cream with the remaining three ingredients and spread over the top of the cheesecake. Cover and refrigerate. To serve, remove the rim of the pan, loosen the cheesecake from the bottom, and slide it onto a plate.
Tom Bergey, Newalla, Oklahoma