Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Here’s a tasty, colorful salsa to serve with tortilla chips and Mexican beer. The yellow cubanella peppers are also called Hungarian or banana peppers.
• 2 jalapeño peppers
• 2 cubanella peppers
• 1 small sweet green pepper
• 1 small sweet red pepper
• 1 tablespoon crushed or chopped garlic
• 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
• 1 medium tomato (not too firm)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons each cumin seed and fresh oregano, basil, and cilantro
• Pinch of salt
1. Stem, seed, and quarter the peppers, wearing gloves to avoid the burn of the jalapeños. Place them in a food processor or blender. Add the garlic, onion, tomato, herbs, and salt.
2. Chop and blend the ingredients in short bursts. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate.
Brian J. Hickey, North Canton, Ohio