Makes about 1 pint
This mustard has just a bit of extra zip.
• 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
• 1/4 cup whole yellow mustard seeds
• 1/4 cup whole black mustard seeds
• 1/4 cup dry powdered mustard
• 3/4 cup cold water
• 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
• 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 to 3 small jalapeño peppers, seeded
• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup dry white wine
Toast coriander seeds in a dry skillet or place them in a flat dish and microwave on High for 4 to 5 minutes. Crush the mustard and coriander seeds slightly in a mortar or blender, then mix them and the powdered mustard into the water and let stand for at least three hours.
Mix the remaining ingredients and pulverize in a blender until smooth. Stir the puree into the mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer 5 minutes or until as thick as you like, stirring occasionally. The mustard will thicken slightly on cooling. Refrigerate, covered.
For more recipes from The Amazing Mustard Seed, click here.