Makes 16 wedges or 32 squares
These hors d’oeuvres may be made up to three hours ahead of time and held at room temperature until ready to serve.
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 2 pounds unpeeled red-skinned waxy potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
• 8 large eggs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary, or 2 teaspoons dried
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
• 1 cup very coarsely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (use the large holes on a hand-held grater)
1. Heat 1/4 cup oil in each of two 10-inch ovenproof skillets over medium heat.
2. Add the potatoes, toss to coat with oil, and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until tender. Remove the skillets from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. (To make tortilla squares, transfer the potatoes and oil to two 8-inch baking dishes at this point.)
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
4. Beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, rosemary, and chives. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes. Shake each pan or baking dish a few times to distribute the egg mixture evenly.
5. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over each pan of potatoes. Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are set. Cool to room temperature and cut into wedges or squares to serve.
Sally King is a Virginia-based freelance writer whose USDA Zone 8 herb garden produces through Thanksgiving.
Click here for the original article, 8 Great Hor D'oeurve Recipes.