The assertive flavor of barley malt syrup is paired here with the much lighter-flavored rice syrup to produce a balanced sweetness. Note: If you don’t have 4-inch tart pans, you can make a standard 9-inch pie by halving the amount of pecans to 1 cup.
Pecan Pie Tarts Recipe
• 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
• 3 large eggs
• 1/2 cup barley malt syrup
• 1 cup brown rice syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 2 cups pecan halves
• Whipped cream, mint sprigs, ground nutmeg and broken cinnamon sticks, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Unroll piecrust on a flat surface; roll to a 13-inch circle. Cut 4 (6-inch) rounds; press each into a 4 1/2-inch round tart pan. Repeat procedure with remaining piecrust.
3. Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add barley malt syrup, rice syrup, spices, butter and salt; mix well. Stir in flour. Reserve 1/2 cup mixture; pour remaining mixture into tart shells.
4. Arrange pecan halves over filling. Drizzle with remaining syrup mixture.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until firm in the center. Remove from oven and cool.
6. Garnish just before serving. Makes 8 tarts
Click here for the main article, Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars.
Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail email@example.com or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.