• 1 1/2 cups unsweetened orange juice
• 1 cup rolled oats
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 2 large eggs
• 1 1/2 teaspoons orange extract, divided
• 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 cup fresh cranberries, washed and sliced
• 2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat together orange juice, oats, butter, eggs and ½ teaspoon orange extract. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and cranberries. Beat well.
3. Spoon into a greased and floured 9-by-13-inch baking pan, spreading batter evenly in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
4. Beat whipping cream and remaining teaspoon of orange extract at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
5. Cut cake into squares and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Gina Mohammed, Ph.D., is a plant physiologist who researches medicinal and other specialty uses of plants. E-mail email@example.com or write to 1503 SW 42nd St., Topeka, KS 66609 for a detailed reference list.
Click here for the main article, Make Holiday Desserts Without Refined Sugars .