This smoothie’s ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom—and a little caffeine, too—can take the chill out of the morning air and get your engine revving. Substitute decaffeinated tea if desired.
• 1 cup boiling water
• 3 thin slices fresh ginger, peeled
• 1/4 teaspoon black cardamom seeds
• 2 dashes cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons loose black orange pekoe tea
• 1/2 bay leaf
• 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
• 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
• 1/4 cup silken tofu
1. In a warmed teapot or glass measuring cup, pour the boiling water over the spices, tea , and bay leaf; steep, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Strain the tea into a blender jar; rinse the ginger slices and return to the tea with the almonds and optional sugar.
3. Process until smooth. Blend in tofu quickly.
4. Drink at room temperature or process four or five ice cubes and serve icy cold.
Click here for the original article, Herbs for Breakfast.
Debbie Whittaker is a Denver, Colorado, food writer and recipe developer.