Lemon thyme really makes this pizza shine, but if it’s not available, try substituting lemon basil or lemon verbena. MAKES ONE 12-INCH PIZZA
• 1 (12-inch) prepared pizza dough or crust
• 1 cup sliced sweet onions (about ½ medium onion)
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
• 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
• 4 to 6 ounces prosciutto or Canadian-style bacon
• 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, thoroughly drained (about 1/2 cup)
• 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
• 1 tablespoon pine nuts
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Transfer pizza crust to a baking sheet or pizza screen. Using a nonstick skillet, sauté onions in oil over medium-high heat 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from heat.
2. Spread sauce evenly over pizza, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the rim. Sprinkle sauce evenly with both cheeses. Arrange prosciutto and caramelized onions over cheese, then top with pineapple and roasted red peppers. Finish toppings with pine nuts and lemon thyme.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden and cheese is nice and bubbly.
Kris Wetherbee is a contributing editor who wrangles her herb garden in western Oregon.
Click here for the main article, Prepare Herbal Pizza Combinations.