Makes 40 hors d’oeuvres
• 2 cups unbleached flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold butter, cut into small dice
• 1 cup plain yogurt
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
• Pinch of black pepper
• 12 ounces smoked trout, broken into pieces
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• Fresh dill for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Work in the butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yogurt, dill, and pepper. Stir with a fork until just mixed.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a floured cutter into 11/2-inch rounds. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown.
4. When the biscuits have cooled slightly, split each in half. Top each half with a bit of trout and a scant teaspoon sour cream. Garnish with fresh dill and serve immediately.
Sally King is a Virginia-based freelance writer whose USDA Zone 8 herb garden produces through Thanksgiving.
Click here for the original article, 8 Great Hor D'oeurve Recipes.