Delicious, unique recipes offer the flavor and health benefits of Allium sativum.
Garlic Ice Cream
Makes about 6 cups
This recipe, from The Stinking Rose Cookbook by The Stinking Rose restaurant in San Francisco, is a deliciously unusual combination, which will certainly make your dinner guests take notice. Make sure they understand the garlic flavor is intentional. Otherwise, they’ll think you forgot to wash the mixing bowl!
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 vanilla bean, split in half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- Bring milk, garlic and vanilla to a boil in a saucepan and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, blend cream, sugar and egg yolks. Strain scalded milk mixture into egg and sugar mixture, stirring constantly.
- Return combined mixture to pan and stir continuously over moderate heat until it coats the back of a spoon, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool in an ice bath. Pour into ice cream freezer and churn until firm.