Lemon juice and zest and two lemon-flavored herbs combine in this cool, light, and lemony ice cream, which is neither too sweet nor too tart. I like to serve it in hollowed-out lemons topped with fresh lemon balm sprigs. (For zest, use a potato peeler to remove only the yellow portion of the lemon peel, leaving the bitter white layer behind.)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hard-packed lemon verbena leaves
- 1/4 cup hard-packed lemon balm leaves
- 1 batch French Vanilla Ice Cream made with only 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped lemon balm leaves
1. Stir the lemon peel, lemon juice, and hard-packed lemon herbs into the hot ice cream base. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Strain the mixture and add the chopped lemon balm leaves for color. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Click here for the original article, Frozen Treats.