Fennel and sorrel add sweet-sour notes to this appetizer, which makes a great beginning for a romantic meal. If fresh sorrel isn’t available, substitute 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
• 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped, or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen spinach, chopped and partially thawed
• 1/4 cup minced fresh sorrel leaves (about 15 medium)
• 2 to 4 tablespoons minced fresh fennel leaves
• 1/2 cup whipping cream
• 1 large shallot, minced
• 8 medium-sized oysters
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Tabasco sauce to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 475°F.
2. In a blender or food processor, puree the spinach, sorrel, fennel, cream, and shallot. Spoon the mixture into four greased baking shells or ramekins. Top each with two oysters.
3. Drizzle olive oil over the oysters and bake for 6 to 10 minutes or until their edges curl. Let cool a minute, add a dash of Tabasco if desired, and serve.
Click here for the original article, Five Spring Recipes.
Writer and chef Cornelia Carlson tends an herb garden in Tucson, Arizona.