Roasted Pepper Sauce
Makes 1/2 cup
Sometimes used during cooking to add flavor, sauces also augment the taste of foods after cooking. This is a hot, smoky sauce that goes well with shrimp, chicken, and pork ribs.
• 1/4 cup canned chipotle chilies
• 1/4 cup Basil Pesto (see recipe on page 30)
• 2 sweet red peppers, roasted, skin removed
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. In a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients.
2. Baste on poultry or other meat with a brush while cooking.
3. Store leftover sauce in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Click here for the main article, Fire and Smoke.
Pat Crocker, home economist and culinary herbalist, photographs, lectures, and writes about food and herbs. Author of three cookbooks, including The Healing Herbs Cookbook (Robert Rose, 1999) and The Juicing Bible (Robert Rose, 2000), Pat enjoys grilling with her family every summer.