Serves 6 to 8
In the South, the ingredients for this salad are usually available in winter when many salad favorites aren’t.
- 2 oranges
- 1 fennel bulb, washed
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, separated, washed, and dried
- 1 bunch arugula (1 to 2 cups), washed and dried
- Fennel leaves for garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light, fruity vinegar such as raspberry
- 3 tablespoons strong, well-flavored tea such as Earl Grey
- 1 tablespoon reserved orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet. Roast for 3 to 5 minutes at 350°F. Remove from the oven, cool, then break into pieces. Set aside.
- Peel the oranges, removing the rind and white pith. Cut the sections away from the center, removing any seeds. Set aside, saving 1 tablespoon of the juice for dressing. Slice the fennel bulb thinly and set aside.
- Tear the lettuce into pieces and arrange in a large shallow bowl. Scatter the arugula, fennel and orange slices on the lettuce, and sprinkle walnuts on top. Garnish with a few tips of the fennel leaves, if desired. When ready to serve, mix the dressing ingredients until well blended and drizzle over salad.
—Barbara L. Ruff, Athens, Georgia