Makes 1 cup
Use a spice grinder or coffee grinder to crack whole mustard seeds. Don’t use the same grinder for both spices and coffee beans, however, the coffee oils will permeate the flavors of the spices.
- ½ cup cracked brown mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard powder
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 small dried red peppers OR 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- ¼ cup cold flat beer
- In a non-aluminum container, combine mustard seed, powder and water. Let rest 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover the container with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 48 hours before putting into a jar or using. The mustard will thicken as the liquids are absorbed over the first 48 hours.
Recipe adapted from the Mount Horeb Mustard Museum’s booklet, The Culinary Mustard.
Click here for the original article, The Magic of Mustard.