Roasted Tomato Sauce
Makes 4 cups
1⁄3 cup olive oil
31⁄4 pounds fresh heirloom, cherry, vine and plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
11⁄2 cups (about 1 pound) yellow onion, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped, to taste (optional)
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, to taste (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Use a little oil to coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Spread tomatoes evenly across dish.
2. Mix garlic, onion, oregano, basil and 2 tablespoons olive oil and spread evenly over tomatoes. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and toss.
3. Bake in a 375-degree oven for about an hour.
4. Let cool, then blend tomatoes to a rich puree in a food processor.
5. Wait to adjust the salt and pepper seasoning until you’re ready to use the sauce.
6. Freeze sauce in sterile glass containers or freezer bags.
Keeps for about 6 months.