Makes about 1½ cups
Here’s a quick and easy sauce that you can put together in a matter of minutes yet tastes like it took hours to make. Baste it on anything that goes on the grill, or use it as a sauce for beans and rice, on sautéed fish or roasted chicken, or basted on oven-roasted potatoes.
• ¾ cup ketchup
• ½ cup strong coffee
• ¼ cup blackberry jam (use a 100 percent fruit jam for best flavor)
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• ½ to 1 tablespoon brown sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
• ¼ teaspoon cumin
• ¼ teaspoon chile powder
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or garlic granules
1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool. Use immediately or store any unused sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor to Herbs for Health. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee. Visit her website at www.KrisWetherbee.com
Click here for the original article,
Green It: Eco-Friendly Coffee