The low-calorie nutrients in this recipe make it a healthy variation to traditional calorie-rich coleslaw. Carrots are high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant, and are a good source of fiber. Beets are high in vitamin C and folic acid, a vitamin that is essential to the body’s production of red blood cells. Serves 6.
• 4 large carrots
• 2 small raw beets
• 3 ounces lemon soy yogurt or nonfat yogurt
• 3 tablespoons fresh apple juice
• 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
1. Grate the carrots and beets into a salad bowl. Toss with the yogurt and the apple juice. Top the slaw with the sesame seeds and serve.
2. Eat beets for vitamin C, carrots for beta-carotene to help your body resist cancer.
Debbie Whittaker demonstrates her healthy cooking style as the “Herb Gourmet” in Denver, Colorado.
Click here for the main article, Eating Well: The Herbal Path To Daily Health .