Summer parties and outdoor gatherings always seem like a great idea, especially because planning a meal with others should be a great way to save money. But it can be hard to find recipes that feed many and cost little. Even harder is showing up with something nutritious that even the most hard-core hot dog and hamburger aficionados will want to eat.
We’ve selected some affordable, healthy and absolutely delicious recipes from a few of our favorite cookbooks. All of these healthy potluck recipes feature fresh ingredients, can be doubled or tripled easily, and will be lovely served cold or at room temperature. For even more ideas for big gatherings, you can order these stellar cookbooks at the Natural Home & Garden shopping site.
Easy Potluck Recipes
• Beet Burgers Recipe
• Lemon-Parmesan Asparagus Spears in Phyllo Recipe
• Simple Green Bean Salad Recipe
Plan a Waste-Less Picnic
It can be hard to reduce waste when your event isn’t within a stone’s throw of a recycling bin or dishwasher. Use these tips for a more conscientious gathering.
1. Make your contributions to the meal from locally grown, sustainably raised foods.
2. Bring reusable or recyclable dinnerware (check out Verterra and EaternalPlates) for yourself or for everyone.
3. Bring reusable water bottles and coolers. Find some at Sigg and Klean Kanteen.
4. Bring old sheets to act as tablecloths.
5. Bring separate bags for trash, recyclables and compostables, and label them clearly.