Agave nectar is a terrific choice for sweetening iced drinks because it dissolves instantly and has a mild flavor. The strained ginger puree used in this recipe also is a great addition to regular iced tea. SERVES 4
• 1/4 cup sliced fresh gingerroot (about 2 ounces)
• 2 cups water
• 3 tablespoons agave nectar
• 1 lemon, sliced
• 2 cups sparkling water, club soda or seltzer
• Lemon quarters, for garnish
1. In a food processor, puree the sliced gingerroot and 1 cup water.
2. Pour into a pitcher with the second cup of water and stir in the agave nectar. Cover and chill for 24 hours.
3. Strain and add sliced lemons. For each serving, pour equal parts ginger puree and sparkling water into a glass.
4. Garnish each glass a with lemon quarter.
Nanette Blanchard is a freelance food writer who tries to keep cool in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Click here for the main article, Cool Down with Iced Drinks.