Influenced by the Kaiserstuhl region, the little savory quiche owes its exquisite, delicate flavor to a combination of spring and summer herbs such as dandelion, sorrel and yarrow.
• 1 heaping tablespoon of young, tender leaves of sorrel, dandelion and yarrow, finely chopped
• 1/2 onion, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 6 eggs
• 3 cups heavy cream
• Pinch nutmeg
• Unbaked pie crust
1.Combine the herbs and onion and sauté with olive oil, salt and pepper until onions become translucent.
2. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, cream, and nutmeg until just frothy.
3. Place unbaked pie crust in a greased quiche pan. Spread the herb mixture on the bottom and pour in the egg mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.
Read the original article: German Cuisine Recipes with Herbs.
Sibylle Hechtel writes from Estes Park, Colorado. Her latest articles appear in Red Herring and New Scientist.