Makes 2 cups
Expect a playful kick of flavor with this recipe.
- ½ cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 3 quarter-size slices gingerroot
- 1 small hot red pepper, fresh or dried
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- Put the cilantro, gingerroot, red pepper, and garlic in a steeping container. Cover with the vinegar and attach the lid. Set the container in a cool, dark place, shaking every couple of days.
- Taste after a week, then filter (or let it steep longer until the flavor is to your liking). Pour into bottles, cap tightly, seal if desired, and label.
Maggie Oster is the author of many books on gardening and cooking, including Herbal Vinegar, 1994, and her latest, The Herbal Palate, 1996, both from Storey Communications. She is also a freelance photographer and horticulturist who lives in Indiana and Kentucky.
Click here for more vinegar recipes from the original article,Spirited Vinegars.