Chopped spearmint leaves swirl through every scoop of this creamy, rich chocolate ice cream. Feel free to experiment with other mint varieties.
- 1 batch French Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup hard-packed fresh spearmint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint leaves
- While heating the ice-cream base, melt the chocolate in a double boiler over hot but not simmering water, stirring occasionally.
- Off heat, pour about 1 cup of the prepared hot ice-cream base into the melted chocolate and whisk until well blended. Pour the chocolate mixture back into the remaining vanilla base and whisk again. Stir in the hard-packed mint leaves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Strain the mixture and add the chopped mint leaves. Pour the mixture into an ice-cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Theresa Loe is an aerospace engineer, freelance writer and lecturer who tends her herb garden in a small Southern California coastal community. Her book, The Herbal Home Companion, is due out from Kensington, Inc., this fall.
Click here for the original article, Ice Cream Surprise.