• 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1⁄4 cup melted butter or olive oil
• Coarse sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1⁄4 cup ‘Cardinal’ basil, finely chopped
1. Cook potatoes in boiling salted water to cover for 5 minutes or just until tender. Drain well and return to saucepan. Add butter or olive oil, sea salt and pepper to taste; toss gently. Spoon onto a lightly greased jelly-roll pan.
2. Broil 6 inches from heat for 3 to 5 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned on top. Remove from oven, stir and return to the broiler for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Toss with the chopped basil; serve immediately.
Shortcut Option: At step 1, combine potatoes with butter or olive oil, salt and pepper; toss gently. Place potatoes in a single layer on a lightly greased jelly-roll pan. At step 2, bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, stirring after 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned. Toss with basil; serve immediately.
Caleb Melchior studies landscape architecture. When not working in the studio, he writes about food and gardens.
Click here for the main article, Basil Varieties: A Cook's Guide to Uncommon Basils .