These bean burritos with purple basil are an easy addition to your Mexican spread.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh purple basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
-ounce can light red kidney beans, drained, reserving
- 10 taco-size flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound sliced cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the basil, oregano, onion, pepper, beans and reserved liquid. On a work surface, lay out a tortilla, place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture on it, and sprinkle on some of the cheese. Fold in the right and left sides, then roll up.
- Place the tortilla, seam side down, in an ungreased 10-by-13-inch pan. Fill the remaining nine tortillas, dividing the filling and cheese among them but reserving a few tablespoons of the cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
—Marcia Anderson, Alexandria, Virginia