Makes about 6 cups
For variety, substitute parsley, basil, chervil, or tarragon, alone or in combination, for all or part of the chives. You may substitute a small green or red chile, finely chopped and with seeds and membranes removed, for the paprika.
• 2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded
• 3 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
• 1 green bell pepper, seeds and membrane removed
• 1 sweet Spanish onion, peeled
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 3 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable broth, or water
• Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime, or 1/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/4 cup chopped chives
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• Salt to taste
1. Process the first five ingredients and 1 cup of the broth or water in a food processor or blender, or chop the vegetables by hand for a chunkier soup. Add the remaining liquids, chives, and paprika. Salt to taste. Serve chilled.
Herbs in the Garden
Back to Salsa Dishes from the Garden.