Homemade Herbal Tincture
2 ounces dried herbs or 4 ounces fresh herbs
1 cup vodka
1. Chop fresh herb or grind dried herb.
2. Place herb in a glass jar labeled with the current date and herb’s name.
3. Add sufficient vodka to cover the herbs.
4. Screw on the lid, put the jar in a dark place at room temperature and shake at least once daily (shaking ensures a strong extraction).
5. After two to three weeks, pour the contents of the jar through several layers of cheesecloth or unbleached muslin.
6. Allow liquid to settle in a clean jar overnight.
7. Strain clear liquid through a filter paper.
8. Store in correctly labeled, dark glass bottles in a cool, dark place.
To use: Place a few drops of tincture under your tongue, or add a few drops to a glass of water or juice.
Excerpted with permission from Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech