Better living through nature
Although we all love the summertime feeling of freedom and warmth, we don’t always love what it does to our hair and skin. During the summer, we have to take extra care of ourselves to look our best. The chlorine and sun dry out our skin and our hair and sometimes it seems that we sweat all day long. A few of these recipes may prevent the summer from limiting our natural beauty.
If you’re having trouble staying clean because of your many hours spent having outdoor adventures, try the Rose Hip Mask:
This facial treatment of pureed rose hips and plain yogurt will leave your skin soft and smooth. Dried rose hips are available in many grocery and health-food stores. Simply soak them in some warm water for 15 to 20 minutes to rehydrate them and then follow the recipe as written.
• 10 fresh rose hips from unsprayed shrubs
• 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1. Remove the stalk and blossom ends of the rose hips. Rinse the hips, place them in a small saucepan, and cover them with water. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, then pour the rose hips into a blender or food processor and puree. Let it cool, then mix with the yogurt.
2. Spread the mask on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse with cool water and pat your skin dry. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for as long as 2 weeks.
Photo by Carmen Sotuela/ Courtesy Flickr
When the weather gets hot and humid, stay cool by smoothing on some Cooling Peppermint Body Powder:
The fresh, clean scent of peppermint is an instant energizer. Mixing the essential oil into cornstarch makes a refreshing body powder.
• ½ teaspoon peppermint oil
• 1 cup cornstarch
1. Place the peppermint oil and cornstarch in a plastic zip-close bag or a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake the container well to combine the ingredients. Store the scented powder in a clean container with a lid. A large saltshaker makes a good dispenser.
2. Shake the powder on clean, dry skin or apply it with a powder puff.
Humidity can really get your hair on the fritz; keep it in place with Summer Braid Gel:
The small, shiny brown seeds are the source of linseed oil. When soaked in water, they form a gel that gives hair extra body and lift.
• 3 tablespoons flaxseed
• 1 cup water
1. Mix the flaxseed and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Off heat, let the mixture stand for 15 minutes. Strain out the seeds and allow the jellylike liquid to cool completely. Pour the gel into a clean container and cap it. The mixture will continue to thicken if left uncovered.
2. Apply a small amount to wet or dry hair as you would any other styling gel.
How do you keep yourself clean and gorgeous during the summer heat? Leave me comments and let me know!