*Statements herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, and are not intended to treat or diagnose any disease or health condition. It is also recommended that patients check with their doctors before taking herbs, to ensure that there are no contraindications with prescription medications.
Better living through nature
As a kid, the common cold and I were constantly at odds. When that brisk autumn wind started blowing the leaves off the trees, I knew it was just a matter of time before a runny nose and raspy cough would wage war on my body. Now, a new study has some advice about how I can save my future children from fighting that same yearly battle.
The study found that consuming plenty of omega-3 fatty acids during pregnancy may help reduce instances of the common cold during infancy.
Pregnant mothers who took supplements containing an omega-3 fatty acid called docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) gave birth to infants with fewer cold symptoms during the first six months of life when compared with mothers who took a placebo.
The newborns were also less likely to catch a cold in the first place.
There are many ways you can add DHA, one of the two major ingredients in fish oil, to your diet. The best way is to eat two to three servings of the following cold water fatty fish per week:
You can also get DHA from fish oil supplements, or, for all of the vegetarians out there, DHA is also available in seaweed.
Nobody likes catching the common cold. Fish oil may help prevent the
sickness in your little ones if taken during pregnancy.
Photo by Lawrence Whittemore/Courtesy Flickr
DHA contains many health benefits in addition to warding off the common cold. Unfortunately, most of us in the Western world don’t get enough of it, and are therefore missing out on the following perks:
• It is required for the adult brain to function properly.
• During the first six months of life, DHA is key for the development of our nervous system and visual abilities.
• New research suggests that fish oil may reduce attention-deficient hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms.
• A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like DHA, helps to lower the risk of heart disease.
• Fish oil helps to lower triglycerides in the blood and can even reduce the risk of blood clots.
• Taking fish oil on a regular basis can give women relief from menstrual pain.
Click here for more information on what to eat for a healthy pregnancy.