Makes 4 ounces
If mermaids had a beauty secret, it would be seaweed, which is very soothing to the skin and helps with skin cell renewal. This lotion is perfect after a day in the sun. You can find Irish moss, also called carrageenan, at natural food stores.
- 1 tablespoon powdered Irish moss
- 1 cup distilled water
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- Soak Irish moss in distilled water for 20 minutes. Pour mixture into a small saucepan and boil for 20 minutes. Strain off solids; you will have a clear jelly.
- Measure ¼ cup of the seaweed jelly, then mix it with the aloe vera gel. Let the mixture cool completely.
- Pour seaweed mixture into a blender and blend on low speed; slowly add the almond oil in a thin stream until blended. You will have a light, white lotion.
- Pour lotion into a clean container. To use, massage a small amount into your skin.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home and Natural Beauty from the Garden (Henry Holt & Company, New York). For more recipes and ideas, visit her website at www.JaniceCox.com.
Click here for the original article, Body & Soul: Natural Sea Beauty .