Medicated dandruff or psoriasis shampoos on the market almost always include coal tar derivatives. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has deemed coal tar carcinogenic in various forms. An ideal alternative is offered in this herbal blend.
• 4 cups distilled or spring water
• 1/2 cup rosemary
• 1/2 cup peppermint
• 1/4 cup lavender
• 1 teaspoon borax
• 12 drops tea tree essential oil
1. Bring the water to a boil.
2. Add the herbs, stir, cover, and turn off the heat.
3. Steep for approximately 31/2 hours.
4. Strain and bottle the liquid, then add the borax and essential oil.
5. Label and use within twelve months if you’ve used dried herbs, ten days if you’ve used fresh herbs.
Melinda Minton is a licensed cosmetologist, herbalist, and esthetician. She is the owner of Vie Salon and Day Spas in Fort Collins, Colorado. Her articles have appeared in The Herb Companion, Herbs for Health’s sister publication.
Click here for the original article, An Herbal Guide to Healthy Hair.