The cool, clean taste of mint is a classic toothpaste flavor. This pale-colored gel is made with fresh mint leaves and will help clean both your teeth and gums. Because it is nonabrasive, it’s ideal for those with sensitive teeth and gums. MAKES 2 OUNCES
• 1 tablespoon fresh peppermint leaves, chopped
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
• 1/2 teaspoon sunflower oil
1. Place mint leaves in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Mix together cornstarch and oil; stir until smooth.
3. Strain mint water, then mix it with cornstarch mixture.
4. Return pan to stovetop and bring mixture to a boil; cool completely. Stir well and place in a clean container.
5. To use, spread a small amount on a clean toothbrush and brush as usual.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty at Home, Natural Beauty for All Seasons and Natural Beauty from the Garden, all published by Henry Holt and Company (New York).
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Use Marvelous Mint for Better Skin Health.