Makes 12 ounces
This old folk recipe darkens and conditions; it darkens grays and can add gentle highlights to brunette hair. You may apply this rinse several times before noticing any color change.
• 2 cups cold water
• 1 cup fresh potato peelings (from about 4 to 5 potatoes)
• 1 to 2 drops rosemary essential oil
1. Pour water into a medium saucepan. Add potato peelings and heat over medium until mixture boils.
2. Lower heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let cool completely. Strain mixture into a clean container and add rosemary oil.
3. To use: After shampooing, massage rinse through your wet hair, into your scalp and through your hair ends. Do not rinse. Save any remaining rinse in the refrigerator.
Janice Cox recently co-authored a book with her daughter Lauren Cox,(Ten Speed Press, 2009). Look for it in bookstores nationwide.
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Herbal Hair Rinses .