Beans are rich in protein, potassium and iron. The beans in this red bean cleansing mask will do double duty, cleansing and softening for fresher skin. Save extra ground beans in an airtight container.
• 2 cups dried red kidney beans
• 1⁄2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
• 1 teaspoon honey
1. Grind beans in blender or food processor to a fine powder.
2. Mix 2 tablespoons bean powder with sour cream and honey. Stir until you have a smooth mixture.
3. To use: Spread over clean skin and let sit 10 minutes. Rinse well with warm water and pat dry. Refrigerate any leftover mask.
Tip: Clean with Beans
For a quick skin cleanser, mix a little of the bean powder with water and massage into damp skin. Rinse well.
Janice Cox and her daughter, Lauren Cox, recently co-authored a book, EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends (Ten Speed Press, 2009). Find it at www.herbcompanion.com/shopping .
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Natural, Anti-Aging Treatments .