This rich and buttery balm is easy to use and conditioning to your skin and muscles. Make an extra batch to share at your next seedling exchange or with a favorite neighbor.
• 1⁄4 cup grated cocoa butter
• 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon grated beeswax
• 1 to 2 drops peppermint essential oil
• 1 to 2 drops rosemary essential oil
• 1 to 2 drops lavender essential oil
1. Place all ingredients except essential oils in a heat-resistant container. In the microwave or on the stovetop, gently heat until ingredients just begin to melt.
2. Remove from heat and stir until blended and melted. Add essential oils and stir.
3. Pour into a clean container (or, for small bars, pour into a clean ice cube tray). Let cool completely. To use: Rub the balm over your skin, focusing on sore muscle areas.
Janice Cox is the author of Natural Beauty from the Garden (Holt Paperbacks, 2002).
Click here for the main article, Body & Soul: Heal Muscles with Apres-Gardening Indulgences .