Before throwing open your windows this season, refresh the screens with this nontoxic vinegar solution. Most screens are delicate, so take care not to overstress the fabric or frame. You need:
• Old towels
• 2 spray bottles
• White vinegar
• A soft brush or nonabrasive sponge
1. Fill one spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water. Fill the other bottle with clear water. Set aside.
2. Remove screen from window and vacuum it gently but thoroughly. (Or you could wipe both sides with a microfiber cloth.)
3. Lie the screen flat on a towel. Spray it thoroughly with the vinegar cleaner, then rub gently with the brush or sponge.
4. Flip the screen and repeat.
5. Spray the screen with clear water and blot it dry with a fresh towel. You can re-install it while slightly damp.
6. If the screens don’t seem clean, repeat this process. If they’re extremely dirty, add some mild, biodegradable dish soap to the solution to boost your cleaning power.