Serves 6 to 8
Dulse adds a flavorful accent when paired with potatoes, and goes especially well with eggs and cheese. This crustless quiche-style potato bake combines all three for a terrific taste sensation.
- 1 cup (about 1 ounce) snipped dulse
- 1½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella soy cheese or reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half*
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chile pepper flakes
* If desired, substitute the half-and-half with ½ cup mayonnaise and ½ cup soy milk.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, toss dulse, potatoes, onions and cheese in olive oil until well coated. Spoon mixture into a 3-quart baking dish that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat together eggs, half-and-half, flour and red chile flakes until thoroughly mixed. Pour evenly over dulse-potato mixture.
- Bake, covered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until potatoes are done, removing the cover during the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking time. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Kris Wetherbee is a freelance writer and frequent contributor tosister publication. She lives in the hills of western Oregon with her photographer husband, Rick Wetherbee.
An Ocean of Health