Party planning can be a stressful undertaking, but there’s no need to strain the environment in the process. Here are some tips from Evite.com for preparing a fun and eco-friendly gathering.
1. Invitations: Use e-cards to invite guests as opposed to mailing an invitation. These can be much more fun, and some sites even give you options to customize your invite.
2. Decorations: Go for the real thing when serving food and drinks. If doing the dishes is a dreaded part of the day, go disposable with biodegradable cups and plates (remember, try to avoid Styrofoam and plastic products).
3. Lighting: Hold your party or cookout during the day to take advantage of the sunlight. If your party is more of a nightly affair, use candles to create a more outdoorsy setting. And if light bulbs are a necessity, go for compact fluorescent bulbs.
4. Food: Buy local, which reduces the amount of emissions and energy needed to ship food. Also, having a variety of finger foods could reduce the need for plates and dishes.
More about green parties
• Find out how to throw an eco-friendly birthday bash.
• Make your Super Bowl party healthier by serving better foods. Check out these tips!
• Learn how to host an organic cocktail party!