This recipe, from herbalist Jeanine Pollak, is a pleasant-tasting formula that tones, nourishes and fortifies the heart and nerves.
Makes about 1 quart
- 1/2 ounce hawthorn (Crataegus spp.) leaves and flowers
- 1/2 ounce hawthorn berries
- 1/2 ounce rose hips (Rosa spp.)
- 1/4 ounce linden (Tilia ¥europaea) blossoms
- 1/8 ounce lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla) leaves
- 1/8 ounce motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca) leaves
- The amounts above assume the use of dried herbs. If you’re using fresh herbs, double the amounts.
- Place the herbs in a jar or large teapot. Pour 1 quart of boiling water over the herbs and stir well, then cover and steep for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea and sweeten lightly with honey, if desired. Drink 2 cups daily, a few days per week.
Source: Pollak, Jeanine. Healing Tonics. Pownal, Vermont: Storey Books, 2000.