For a delicious treat, make this Candied Ginger, wrap it in waxed paper and present it in a tin as a delicious gift, complete with instructions to devour immediately. Ginger’s noted tummy-taming qualities can even help ease the discomfort of holiday excess.
- 2 cups 1/4 -inch-thick slices or cubes of peeled or scraped gingerroot
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- Cover ginger with water in a saucepan and bring slowly to a boil. Cover and simmer gently until tender, about 20 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar, stir well and return to a boil. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, overnight at room temperature.
- On the second day, bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add sliced lemon and corn syrup. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover and let stand overnight.
- On the third day, bring to a boil again, stirring often. Stir in another 1/2 cup of sugar, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand overnight.
- On the fourth and final day, bring the mixture to a boil once again. When syrup drops heavily from the side of a spoon and the ginger is translucent, remove from heat and drain. Save syrup; it makes a delicious sauce. Dry ginger slices on a rack over a tray overnight. When well-dried but still slightly tacky, roll in granulated sugar and store in tightly covered glass jars until you’re ready to package for gifts.
Click here for the original article, Homemade from the Heart.