MAKES 2 1/2 CUPS
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
• 2 cups dry white wine
• 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
• 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
• 4 teaspoons peppercorns
1. Bring the ingredients to a gentle boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
2. Continue boiling for 2 minutes, then simmer, covered, for 5 minutes longer. Cool and strain.
• Use this lighter, less-sweet syrup to glaze poultry.
• Drizzle lightly over fresh fruit or cheeses such as mozzarella, chévre or cream or farmer’s cheese.
• Mix a little into soda water and serve over ice between the courses of a rich meal as a palate cleanser.
• Substitute thyme, sage, or marjoram for the rosemary.
• Top half a cored and sliced ripe pear with 2 tablespoons of peppered goat cheese, 1 to 2 tablespoons of syrup and a few walnut halves.
Check out the original article, Sweeten Your Breakfast with Herbal Syrup.