Red, White and Blueberry Shortcakes
Makes 8 servings
July is National Berry Month! Kick off this sweltering summer month—and celebrate our nation's independence—with this recipe for Red, White and Blueberry Shortcakes, courtesy of Driscoll's.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Celebrate the Fourth of the July with this delicious berry dessert. Photo Courtesy Driscoll's.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 teaspoons coarse sugar crystals
1 package (16 ounces) Driscoll’s organic strawberries, hulled, sliced
1/2 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 package (6 ounces) Driscoll’s organic blackberries
1 package (6 ounces) Driscoll’s organic blueberries
1 package (6 ounces) Driscoll’s organic raspberries
1 cup cold heavy cream
To make shortcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Combine flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumb.
4. Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 times. Pat or roll dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness.
6. Cut out 8 stars using a 3-inch floured star cookie cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with water and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon sugar crystals.
7. Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
To makes strawberry sauce:
1. In a blender or food processor puree 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
To make whipped cream:
1. Beat with an electric mixer heavy cream and remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar until thickened and soft peaks form.
1. Toss remaining sliced strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries until blended in a large bowl.
2. Using a serrated knife, cut shortcakes in half horizontally. Place the bottom of each shortcake on each of 8 dessert plates. Drizzle each shortcake with 1 tablespoon strawberry sauce. Top each with a dollop of whipped cream and about 1/2 cup berries. Place top of shortcake over berries. Serve with remaining strawberry sauce.
Helpful tip: Cutting cold butter into the flour makes little crumbs of fat that produces light, flaky shortcakes. A light stirring and kneading of the dough makes the flakiest shortcakes.
Nutrition Per Serving: 408 calories, 20.30g total fat, 12.42g saturated fat, 5.34g protein, 54.63g carbohydrate, 64.82mg cholesterol, 3.56g fiber, 601.12mg sodium