Three friends in New York City have greeted every summer with out-of-the-box ice pops since 2008. Their store, People’s Pops, has since featured flavors like Raspberries & Basil and Cantaloupe & Tarragon, and now they are sharing their DIY ethos in the breezy cookbook People’s Pops (Ten Speed Press, 2012). The following recipe for Parsley-Infused Watermelon Popsicles is excerpted from the chapter “Late Summer.”
Parsley-Infused Watermelon Popsicles Recipe
• 1 2/3 pounds whole watermelon (about 1/2 of a bowling ball-sized watermelon)
• 3/4 cup (6 fluid ounces) simple syrup (see the following recipe), or more if needed
• 20 leaves fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Peel and coarsely chop the watermelon. You should have about a quart of watermelon pieces. Purée the watermelon, leaving chunks if you like, as long as they’re small enough to pour into the molds. You should have about 2 1/4 cups (18 fluid ounces) of purée.
2. Transfer the puréed watermelon to a bowl or measuring pitcher with a pouring spout. Mix the simple syrup into the puréed watermelon until it tastes quite sweet. Chop the parsley very finely and add it to the mixture.
3. Pour the mixture into your ice pop molds, leaving a little bit of room at the top for the mixture to expand. Insert sticks and freeze until solid, 4 to 5 hours. Unmold and transfer to plastic bags for storage or serve at once. MAKES 10 WATERMELON POPSICLES
Simple Syrup Recipe
• 2/3 cup (5 oz) organic cane sugar
• 2/3 cup (5 fl oz) water
1. Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is transparent. Turn off the heat and let cool. Add any spices before the mixture starts to simmer; add any herbs only after you’ve turned off the heat. Store plain and infused syrups in sealed containers in the fridge. MAKES 1 CUP (8 FLUID OUNCES)
More Homemade Popsicle Recipes
This excerpt has been reprinted with permission from People’s Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop by Nathalie Jordi, David Carrell and Joel Horowitz, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group.